This chili is loaded with super foods, including turmeric and combines sweet potatoes with black beans, which is nearly genius - full of great flavors and packed with vitamins and nutrients to keep us healthy during the cold winter months. Here’s what you’ll need:
1 Medium Large Sweet Potato, Peeled and Diced
1 Large Red Onion, Chopped
1 Celery Stick, Chopped
1 Purple Carrot, Chopped
5 Garlic Cloves, Diced
1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
4 tablespoons Chili Powder
2 tablespoons Garlic Powder
2 tablespoons Red Chili Pepper
1/2 teaspoon Ground Chipotle Pepper
1/2 teaspoon Ground Cumin
1/2 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1 teaspoon Ground Turmeric
1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
3 cups Vegetable Stock
1 can Crushed Tomatoes
2 cups cooked Black Beans (rinse and soak)
1/2 cup cooked Quinoa
1/2 cup Greek Yogurt
1. Heat a large pot with olive oil over medium high heat.
2. Add the onion, celery, carrots and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes, until the onion is softened.
3. Add the sweet potato and cook for about 5 more minutes.
4. Add the chili powder, garlic powder, red chili pepper, chipotle pepper, cumin, cinnamon, turmeric, and salt. Stir to combine.
5. Add the vegetable stock, tomatoes, black beans and quinoa and bring the mixture to a boil. Stir everything to combine.
6. Cover the pot and reduce the heat to maintain a gentle simmer.
7. Cook for 25-45 minutes until the sweet potatoes are soft and the entire mixture is slightly thick like a chili.
8. Remove the pot from heat and season with sea salt as needed.
9. Garnish with avocado, scallions, and Greek yogurt before serving.
Store the leftover chili in glass containers and enjoy as lunch or dinner throughout the week. Makes for even better leftovers once the flavors have had a chance to meld together.
*While the recipe suggests the use of canned tomatoes, I prefer to avoid canned tomatoes because of the BPA lining. I like to use fresh, high quality tomatoes - boil them and reduce them to a sauce with an immersion blender. If you are using canned tomatoes, make sure they are BPA free.